Colcannon Potato Recipe
- 1 lb cabbage or 1 lb kale
- 1 lb potato, peeled and diced (about 4 potatoes)
- 2 small leeks or 2 small onions or 6 green onions with tops, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cream or 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon mace
- Strip outer leaves from cabbage.
- Shred cabbage (or kale), place in a saucepan with water to cover the bottom and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until crisp-tender, about 5-10 minutes.
- Drain well.
- (opt.) Liquefy in blender.
- Boil potatoes in a separate kettle, covered with water, until tender.
- In a small saucepan cook leeks or onions and cream(or milk) about 10 minutes.
- Mash potatoes then season with salt, pepper and mace.
- Mix in the onions and milk.
- Combine the potato mixture with cabbage or kale, beating it to a pale green fluff over low heat.
- Pour into a deep warmed dish.
- Dab with butter or margarine.
- NOTE: Leftovers can be fried in oil until crisp and brown on both sides.
- OPTION: Substitute ground nutmeg for mace.